#BringThemHomeNow

Oct 4, 2010

Letter to the New Jersey Jewish Standard

To the editor:

I read with dismay the NJ Jewish Standard's decision to not to run announcements of smachot for Same Sex couples in the future, given a sizable backlash for doing so in a past issue.  We are a larger Jewish community than any one segment's approach.  I sometimes encounter Jewish news and events with which I disagree.  But I do not deny their place in the wider Jewish community.  I write letters when I disagree with certain opinions.  That's fair.  But denying a segment of the Jewish community a presence, a name - and an opportunity to share a Simcha - in a communal paper is discrimination and capitulation to threat.  I ask you to reconsider your decision.

Rabbi Menachem Creditor
Congregation Netivot Shalom
Berkeley, CA


---
Rabbi Menachem Creditor
Congregation Netivot Shalom  ||  Bay Area Masorti  ||  ShefaNetwork.org  ||  menachemcreditor.org 
To join Rabbi Creditor's email list, send a blank email to thetisch-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Total Pageviews