Jul 30, 2014
Jul 29, 2014
in two weeks: "Overwhelmed by Argument: The Conversation I Want to Have Now" Convened by Josh Kornbluth
Jul 28, 2014
Below is a report of JNF's actions in the crisis. You can support JNF's important work online at www.jnf.org.
Responding to the needs of the people of Israel during Operation Protective Edge, JNF has taken immediate and decisive action since July 8.
Additionally, JNF's Rabbis for Israel have mobilized:
• Four synagogues have committed to purchasing bomb shelters at $30K each,
• Five rabbis have joined Rabbis for Israel since the Emergency Campaign began,
• Dozens of congregations have begun JNF fundraising pages (JNF will help you do this),
• Rabbis across the country are making pulpit appeals for JNF,
• Many rabbis and congregants are now in Israel on JNF's Solidarity Mission, July 27 - 31.
Participants will meet Knesset Ministers, visit an Iron Dome battery, pack food and supplies for soldiers and deliver them to the front, pack food and supplies for firefighters and deliver them to Be'er Sheva, work with kids at the Sderot Indoor Recreation Center, meet with Nefesh B'Nefesh olim making aliyah in the midst of the crisis, meet with American high schoolers at JNF's Alexander Muss High School in Israel, and much more.
This is JNF in action. Please share with your congregants all that JNF is doing at this critical time. We hope you and your community will join our relief effort. If you would like pledge cards, a fundraising web page for your congregation, or to get involved in any other way, please email us at email@example.com. #JNFalwayswithIsrael.
Aaron Parker | Executive Director
Northern California and Pacific Northwest
- Noa (Achinoam Nini)'s "Open Letter to the Wind" (http://noa-the-singer.blogspot.co.il/2014/07/open-letter-to-wind.html)
- Rabbi Donniel Hartman's "The War in Gaza: What I Know and What I Do Not Know" (http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/the-war-in-gaza-what-i-know-and-what-i-do-not-know/)
- Etgar Keret's "Israel's Other War" (http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/israels-other-war)
- Naomi Chazan's "Tunnel Vision" (http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/tunnel-vision-2/).
- David Horovitz's "John Kerry: The Betrayal" (http://www.timesofisrael.com/john-kerry-the-betrayal/)
- Barak David's "Kerry's Cease-fire Draft Revealed" (http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/.premium-1.607379)
Jul 25, 2014
A Pre-Shabbat note: Dignity, Unity, and Pride
© Rabbi Menachem Creditor
Friends, I'm working on a follow-up piece to "I'm Done Apologizing for Israel," incorporating some of the language and reactions. I've made the decision to not link the articles/blogposts being written at me (barely any are actually about what i actually write in my article), so as not to give voice or exposure to the hatred. I'd much rather amplify the pride the Jewish world should take in our commitment to retain our humanity and act with restraint despite this terror onslaught and PR war.
When the carnage is smoldering in the rear-view mirror, as it hopefully will be soon, we'll have to do some personal/communal accounting about what we've learned, who we mean to be as a people, how we lead ourselves forward, the language we allow our leaders to use when speaking about Palestinians, and more. That work is an always-task, including now, which is why I'm so amazed at the Israeli Press' dynamism, even in the midst of war.
The focus of Diaspora Jews in this moment must be on the immediate, on countering the horrible lies, and acknowledging (as I myself witnessed yesterday from the mouths of other speakers on KQED Forum) that for Hamas, the "occupation" they are looking to end is 1948, the State of Israel itself. We have much work ahead, but if we can take a small teaching from this week's Torah Portion: The Israelites continued their journey "B'Yad Ramah", with “a raised hand,” which I understand to mean that they emerged from terrible tribulation with their pride intact, with unity, and with human dignity.
May it be so today.
Jul 24, 2014
© Rabbi Menachem Creditor
cup of coffee in trembling hand,
I reflect: Why do I tremble?
I'm not under threat, am I?
my mother, my daughter, my son..
They'll be fine, won't they?
is only words,
couldn't change anything..
We'll be fine.
For Tisha Be'av: Our Cherished Litany of Loss © Rabbi Menachem Creditor You, Jerusalem, (God, Your name burns my mouth.) golden wa...
To Kneel (c) Rabbi Menachem Creditor for Landingham & Kaepernick, our angels in the wings Sometimes, it isn't about nuan...
Rabbi David Wolpe in WashingtonPost.com: "Divorce is a death" Rabbi David Wolpe http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/...
amen? a prayer for more than thoughts and prayers © rabbi menachem creditor chair, rabbis against gun violence Compassionate One, ...