- Mabul (The Flood): (Sunday, July 31, 6:30 pm at the Roda Theatre, Berkeley Rep) On a tumbledown collective farm on Israel's coast, the Rosko family struggles to keep up appearances while hiding their sins, small and large, from one another. Teacher Miri (Ronit Elkabetz) is having an affair; husband Gidi is surreptitiously unemployed; and late-blooming son Yoni pacifies class bullies by selling them completed homework assignments. When his autistic brother suddenly rejoins the household, tensions mount, secrets emerge and Yoni's bar mitzvah reading--about Noah and the flood--takes on deeper meanings in this exquisite drama nominated for six Israeli Academy Awards.
- Standing Silent: (Monday, August 1, 2:00 pm at the Roda Theatre, Berkeley Rep) Standing Silent profiles the heroic efforts of Phil Jacobs, a reporter for the Baltimore Jewish Times, as he relentlessly pursues sexual predators, including prominent rabbis and community leaders, in Baltimore's insular Orthodox Jewish community. However, rather than being celebrated for his efforts, Jacobs, an observant Jew, instead faces ostracism from a community more intent on shielding itself from external scrutiny than on protecting its young people from abuse.
Jul 26, 2011
JFCS/East Bay is pleased to co-present the following films at the 31st Annual San Francisco Jewish Film Festival (in Berkeley)
JFCS/East Bay is pleased to co-present the following films at the 31st Annual San Francisco Jewish Film Festival:
- ► 2016 (72)
- ► 2015 (91)
- ► 2014 (265)
- ► 2013 (508)
- ► 2012 (315)
- Jerusalem Report: "Ethiopian Dreams, Israeli Reali...
- JOSH KORNBLUTH: "TWO ABRAHAMS"
- A Vision from Home
- Tisha B'Av Schedule @ CNS 5771
- RHR-NA: Is Your Rabbi a Human Rights Hero?
- Measuring Success: "How Do You Create a Data Drive...
- Video Highlights from the Ramah Camping Movement
- Rosh Hodesh Av with Women of the Wall
- JFCS/East Bay is pleased to co-present the followi...
- jpost.com: "Intermarried couples try to raise Jewi...
- BJPA eNews: Focusing on Service
- Aromatics: The Jerusalem Syndrome (c) Rabbi Menac...
- Just to Say My Name (C) Rabbi Menachem CreditorI ...
- Join me for a special Kabbalat Shabbat at Robinson...
- Alban Weekly 7/11//2011 Reimagining Organization
- All Air (C) Rabbi Menachem CreditorFlying free th...
- Identity theft: An national epidemic By DAVID BRE...
- What makes for a compelling message?
- A Prayer for Travel Rabbi Menachem Creditor Yehi...
- Rabbi Jeremy Kalmanofsky: "Celebrating Gay Marriag...
- Next Week in Jerusalem!
- ▼ July (21)
- ► 2010 (539)
- ► 2009 (321)
- ► 2008 (91)