Skip to main content

On Being a Digital Rabbi

On Being a Digital Rabbi
(c) Rabbi Menachem Creditor

Someone recently asked me how I find time to write. This reflection is my very brief response. (That in itself is, perhaps, also a response to the question).

I write when I can't help but write and when it fits in between the more important commitment of face-to-face interactions. 

The biggest two benefits for a rabbi "present" in digital media are: 1) it helps shul members (and many others) feel connected, which extends my rabbinic presence beyond those who "show up" and those I with whom I have time to meet and 2) it gives me a sense of sippuk nefesh (spiritual reward), since so much of the "frame" (Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Tumblr, YouTube, Blogspot, etc...) that spreads the writing I do is engineered for a feedback loop.

The danger of all of this is also at least twofold: 1) it's easier to express myself into a affirming virtual ether than actually connect and 2) it is addictive and has a lasting impact on my brain (see the entries on neural plasticity in The Digital Divide, edited by Marc Bauerlein).

Popular posts from this blog

To Kneel [a #Poem]

To Kneel 

(c) Rabbi Menachem Creditorfor Landingham & Kaepernick, our angels in the wings
Sometimes, it isn't about nuance.
Sometimes it just comes down to facing the storm,
calling God out,
standing at the center of a whirlwind
holding your ground.

No cathedral is immune to agony,
no soul impervious to life itself no nation purely noble.
If it were any other way,
there would be no need for cathedrals
in the first place.

Kneel,  stand,  sit,  rise up.

To kneel is
to submit  to lower oneself  to step down  to pause.
To kneel is to call attention  to touch the Earth's face to listen to those  whose blood saturates  the very roots of our story.
To kneel is to step aside  to step outside  to invite others to come closer  to remember.
To kneel is not to stand not to stand not to stand idly by.
Speak your truth,
God damn it.

That's what God wants most of all.

Then There Will Be Enough" - A reflection on this week's #Torah Portion. #toldot #life #wisdom