Hadassah: Updates Concerning Flotilla Raid Off Israel's Coast
June 1, 2010
Updates Concerning Flotilla Raid Off Israel's Coast
Yesterday, four wounded (all foreign citizens) from the flotilla off Gaza's coast were taken to Hadassah Ein Kerem. An Israeli Airforce helicopter landed at the Ein Kerem helipad at 10:30 a.m. local time. The Hadassah Trauma Unit was already prepared with physicians, nurses, X-Ray technicians and all the required equipment for a mass casualties' event. The injured four were taken by Magen David Adom ambulances from the helipad to the Trauma Unit for treatment. At last report, all were in mild condition and fully conscious
Today, Hadassah representatives participated in several conference calls with major Jewish leaders and diplomats regarding the situation. Danny Ayalon, Israel's Deputy Foreign Minister, emphasized Israel's desire to avoid confrontation and continued efforts for peaceful dialogue. Ayalon will be visiting patients at Hadassah and Rambam later today. Hadassah leaders will also be briefed by Ambassador Zalman Shoval later this afternoon for an off-the-record update on the situation from his perspective.
· There were six boats in the flotilla; five were boarded without incident
· The Mavi Marmara was filled with hard-core activists who were looking for a fight
· This mission was not about humanitarian aid but about breaking the blockade
· Egypt and Israel offered to have the boats dock in their ports to transport the supplies to Gaza
· Both Israeli and Egyptian offers were refused
· International allies of Hamas use any and all opportunities to transport weapons into Gaza, necessitating Israel's insistence for a naval blockade as well as strict cargo inspections
· The naval blockade is a matter of life and death for Israel and is in compliance with international law
· Regev thanked the U. S. for its show of support at the United Nations
Below are background articles, press releases, videos, and statements from the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations and The Israel Project.
From the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations:
Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations Chair Alan Solow and Executive Vice Chairman Malcolm Hoenlein released the above statement.
From The Israel Project:
Netanyahu Cancels U.S. Trip in Wake of Pre-Meditated Attack on Israeli Soldiers
Close-Up Footage of Mavi Marmara Passengers Attacking IDF Soldiers
Videos of tragic incident off the coast of Israel
MEMRI TV Clips on the Gaza Flotilla: Activists On Board Chant Songs of Martyrdom at Departure
Statement from Israel's Ambassador to the United Nations, Gabriella Shalev
Behind the Headlines: The Israeli humanitarian lifeline to Gaza
Protesters Attack with Guns and Knives, Israel Regrets 10 Dead
Group with Terrorist Ties Attempts to Deliver Supplies to Gaza, Refuses to Deliver Letter to Captive Israeli Soldier
IDF forces met with pre-planned violence when attempting to board flotilla
Behind the Headlines: The seizure of the Gaza flotilla
The Flotilla to the Gaza Strip – Update
More Flotilla YouTube Videos:
A brutal ambush at sea
Share this backgrounder with your friends, family, and contacts and make sure to visit the Advocacy section of the Hadassah website for continuing updates and more information: http://www.hadassah.org/advocacy
To make a donation or to join Hadassah click here.