#BringThemHomeNow

Mar 15, 2010

A Reflection on Yesterday

A Reflection on Yesterday
Rabbi Menachem Creditor

I cry whenever I hear Paul McCartney sing "Yesterday."  

He sang it simply during the Concert for New York, and that's where I am when I hear his voice.  It doesn't matter that it's almost nine years later, that I'm across the continent from NYC, that the song wasn't written for 9/11 – none of that matters.  The "Yesterday" he sang about that night is the one I long for today.  In listening to his voice, "today" disappeared into a hard "yesterday." In his singing, in his indescribable music-ritual reinvoking of painful memory, the inexorable process of time was violated, trumped by the immediacy of enduring loss.  

One day there will be no sadness.  
I believe that.  
It feels forever away, but I believe with all my heart that it will be. 
It must.
And on that day "Yesterday" will be today again.

---
Rabbi Menachem Creditor
-- www.netivotshalom.org
-- www.shefanetwork.org
-- menachemcreditor.org

To join Rabbi Creditor's email list, send a blank email to thetisch-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Total Pageviews