Skip to main content

Fierce Feelings

Fierce Feelings
(c) Rabbi Menachem Creditor


I. Prophecy is Dead

No one listens.
But then again,
no one ever has.

But the Call 
is somehow changed:
the willingness 
to call and be called 
has faded.

The Prophets 
felt fiercely
couldn't hold it back
couldn't be held back
shouted spoke whispered cried.

Prophets don't want their jobs.
Never did.

But something has changed:
Prophets have forgotten
they're prophets.

II. Who are my elders?

I pour out my heart
and the family of my birth
only sees words,
wondering what I mean,
questioning diction,
deaf to my heart.

I nod my head
along with my tribe.
We don't look much alike,
but I know my brothers and sisters
by the vibrations of their souls.

Who are my elders?

III. Before or Later

Maybe in a past life
he tells me,
maybe...

I wear tzitzis,
today,
in this life.

But he tells me
I might have been
"a little darker"
before.

I say
maybe one day,
later.

Popular posts from this blog

To Kneel [a #Poem]

To Kneel 

(c) Rabbi Menachem Creditorfor Landingham & Kaepernick, our angels in the wings
Sometimes, it isn't about nuance.
Sometimes it just comes down to facing the storm,
calling God out,
standing at the center of a whirlwind
holding your ground.

No cathedral is immune to agony,
no soul impervious to life itself no nation purely noble.
If it were any other way,
there would be no need for cathedrals
in the first place.

Kneel,  stand,  sit,  rise up.

To kneel is
to submit  to lower oneself  to step down  to pause.
To kneel is to call attention  to touch the Earth's face to listen to those  whose blood saturates  the very roots of our story.
To kneel is to step aside  to step outside  to invite others to come closer  to remember.
To kneel is not to stand not to stand not to stand idly by.
Speak your truth,
God damn it.

That's what God wants most of all.

Then There Will Be Enough" - A reflection on this week's #Torah Portion. #toldot #life #wisdom