Blog-Post "Indie minyaners: Where do we go next?"
Rabbi Josh Cahan
One of the issues I hope to address in this blog is the looming question of the next stage for the members of Independent Minyanim. With all of the fanfare and newspaper coverage, and even a conference and a sociological study, we hear a lot about the successes of these minyanim. We are also aware that most of them are driven by a narrow demographic – singles and young families, mostly 20s and 30s. The young demographic is related to (part cause, part effect) three other aspects of these minyanim: most are "lay-led" (I'll have more to say about the deceptive nature of that term later); in high-rent urban areas; and not encumbered by celebrations for people who aren't already firmly part of the community. But it's not only the critics who know that this is transient – many of us are now starting families and looking for the place we're going to settle down. [click here for more]
Rabbi Menachem Creditor
To join Rabbi Creditor's email list, send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ► 2016 (72)
- ► 2015 (91)
- ► 2014 (265)
- ► 2013 (508)
- ► 2012 (315)
- ► 2011 (317)
- Picking up nofrat frenkel
- A Note from Rabbi Creditor: "To Israel"
- This deserves a serious response
- Hannaton Happenings
- [Shefa] Announcing ShefaJournal 5770:1 - "HaNefesh...
- Forward.com: "Embassy Letter on Kotel Rubs Salt in...
- Tu Bishvat from Masorti AmLat office in Buenos Air...
- Op-ed by CEO of the Masorti Movement (translation)...
- Announcing: The Jewish Educators' Network
- "A Prayer for the People of Haiti" by Rabbi Naomi ...
- msnbc.com: "Pope to priests: For God's sake, blog!...
- Fwd: JPost - Trees
- Ynetnews.com: "Free the Kotel a 2nd time"
- Forward.com: "Day School Plus Mazel" by Rachel Bro...
- TALI "Virtual Midrash" Website Launched
- Movemental Masorti Response - Women at the Kotel
- Forward.com: "Conservatives Protest Israel's Treat...
- Forward.com: "Liberating the Wall"
- Help Put the Conservative Movement Van Leer Confer...
- an important letter-writing campaign
- A Morning Meditation for Caregivers
- New development - another woman of the wall detain...
- Rabbi Reuven Hammer (in JPost): "Make for themselv...
- This Saturday Night: The Second Annual Netivot Sha...
- EXTREMELY URGENT: Should Prop 8 trial be televised...
- JTA: "Old kibbutz pins hopes for revival on Conser...
- AMBA Kosher Restaurant open in Montclair!
- Check out Sh'ma: A Journal of Jewish Responsibilit...
- Rabbi Joshua Cahan: "The Centrality of Outreach"
- now available: a new edition of Vaani T’fillati, t...
- from Time.com: a 1951 article on Chancellor Louis ...
- Blog-Post from Rabbi Josh Cahan: "Indie minyaners:...
- ▼ January (32)
- ► 2009 (321)
- ► 2008 (91)