Jul 31, 2020
Jul 30, 2020
Jul 29, 2020
Jul 28, 2020
The Color of Law & The Segregation Myth Resources
Richard Rothstein resources
- VIDEO The Segregation Myth: Richard Rothstein Debunks an American Lie | (NowThis) - youtube.com/watch?v=2roWLzrqOjQ
- VIDEO Richard Rothstein on Legal Segregation in America (Economic Policy Institute) - youtube.com/watch?v=8IevTFx_WMQ
- INTERVIEW 'The Color Of Law' Details How U.S. Housing Policies Created Segregation - an interview with Richard Rothstein (NPR)
- ARTICLE: "Un-forgetting the segregationist history of Palo Alto (and Daly City, and San Francisco, and…)" (June 25, 2020 via TheSixFifty)
- Housing segregation left Black Americans more vulnerable to Covid-19 (July 10, 2020 from Vox.com)
- Your ZIP Code and Your Life Expectancy (from nytimes.com on May 20, 2020)
Jul 27, 2020
Jul 26, 2020
John Lewis Page
- John Lewis' graphic novel "March", sharing a vivid first-hand of his lifelong struggle for civil and human rights, meditating in the modern age on the distance traveled since the days of Jim Crow and segregation.
- John Lewis' March on Washington Speech Inspired a Generation. Here's How He Recalled Its Impact. (from TIME.com)
- Two Versions of John Lewis’ Speech (from billmoyers.com)
- John Lewis' NYTimes obituary (from nytimes.com)
Jul 24, 2020
Awash in memories of Ramah Day Camp In Nyack where I was blessed to spend 13 sacred, formative summers, where I fully experienced Tisha Be'Av for the first time, where I sat with my beloved teacher Rabbi Stanley Bramnick z"l, where, through the gift of the music I learned from him I once again am sitting with him, crying about the broken-ness of the world and dreaming of its rebirth. Shabbat Shalom, friends. May our tears be limited. May our singing never end. #ShabbatChazon #ShabbatShalom
Jul 23, 2020
Exploring Moses' shock at and God's acceptance of the desire of the tribes of Gad, Reuben, and Menasheh to not complete the journey, to live differently while supporting the national mission. Praying for a nation that affirms difference. Praying for Portland. #TorahInTheMorning
Jul 22, 2020
Jul 21, 2020
Jul 20, 2020
Jul 17, 2020
As we complete the book of BeMidbar/Numbers this Shabbat, let us recognize that we've made it to the edge of the Promised Land, that we shall overcome, that we can accomplish so much when we come together! #ShabbatShalom
Jul 16, 2020
Jul 15, 2020
Jul 14, 2020
Jul 13, 2020
Announcing the publication of: A Journey of the Heart and Soul -- poetry & illustrations by Ariel Creditor
A Journey of the Heart and Soul
poetry & illustrations by Ariel Creditor
available at amazon.com/Journey-Heart-Soul-Reflections-veNefesh/dp/B08CMGM6Y7/
Ariel Creditor has published - AND ILLUSTRATED! - her first book, a reflective poetry book of the experience she shared on her senior trip to Poland and Israel with The Leffell School! She writes with clear, open, raw eyes of traveling as a Jewish teenager through Nazi camps in Poland and then landing in Israel, with hand-drawn art depicting what prompted each poem. All proceeds from the sale of the book support the Student Scholarship Fund at The Leffell School! Purchase your copy here!
Jul 10, 2020
Jul 9, 2020
Today is the 17th of Tammuz, a day of reflection and responsibility, and for some, of fasting. (It's also my second anniversary as Scholar-in-Residence for UJA-Federation of New York!) May this day find you strong, hopeful, and determined to tip this world toward peace!
Jul 8, 2020
Jul 7, 2020
Jul 6, 2020
Jul 3, 2020
Jul 2, 2020
Jul 1, 2020
So appreciate Ittay Flescher's mini-review of "When We Turned Within." Since its publication, we've already raised over $1,000 to support UJA-Federation of New York's #COVID relief work! Buy your copy today!
purchase your copy here: https://www.amazon.com/When-We-Turned-Within-Reflections/dp/B089TS37YP/
We don't live forever. How can we make things right with those with whom we have complicated history? Today's Torah is urgently needed, if this this world of interpersonal and international struggle is to ever grant our children a peaceful future.
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)
A new Bigger on the Inside post: #Hook - "There You Are" "There you are, Peter!" Over time, our eyes can become dim. ...
A welcome or a wall? David Harris March 16, 2010 Oy! In the...
Rabbi David Wolpe in WashingtonPost.com: "Divorce is a death" Rabbi David Wolpe http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/...