#BringThemHomeNow

Nov 12, 2021

This is my grandfather, my Sabbah Tzvi, Henry Creditor z”l


This is my grandfather, my Sabbah Tzvi, Henry Creditor z”l, wearing an Eisenhauer jacket sometime in 1943.

Drafted in ‘43 to the US Army’s Tank Destroyer Battalion, he and my grandmother were married while he was on furlough from Fort Jackson, South Carolina. (My grandmother likely saved his life when she pressured him to request a transfer to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. His original unit was defeated at the Battle of the Bulge in Belgium.) His military career led him to Texas, then to California, where he was eventually deployed overseas to the Philippines in the beginning of 1945. He served in the Liberating Army of the Philippines and began training there for the invasion of Japan. On August 6, 1945, the American bomber Enola Gay dropped a five-ton bomb over the Japanese city of Hiroshima. For the next six months, my grandfather served in the Occupation Army in Japan, after which he was honorably discharged and returned home to New York in early 1946.

I bless my Sabbah’s memory and am grateful for his model of service. I bless all our Veterans, and pray for peace, for a time when war is only a thing of the past.

#VeteransDay 
See less

Total Pageviews