#BringThemHomeNow

Jul 13, 2014

I Held a Gun

I Held a Gun
© Rabbi Menachem Creditor

I held a gun, and it wasn't just any gun, and I don't want to hold any gun, and it was this gun that killed Yitzhak Rabin z"l, and I held it in my trembling hands, and I couldn't hold it and I couldn't put it down and I couldn't see it and I couldn't close my eyes.

I was suddenly back at Bar Ilan in class with Yigal Amir and I was back davening mincha in Washington DC being told that the Prime Minister had been shot and I was back on the streets of Oakland on the bloodied pavement where boys get shot and I was back being held in my mother's arms and I was back in the White House screaming to power from the psychic pain and then I was back in that room, holding that gun, that awful, wretched thing that tore a hole in the world that we haven't yet been able to fill, that even God can't fill.

That damned gun that destroyed the world was in my helpless, trembling hands. I couldn't remember how to move my hands to put it down.

I was, and am, and now always will be holding it's cold dead history, its pain.

That damned gun is now in my hands.

----
° menachemcreditor.org
° netivotshalom. org

Total Pageviews